Thursday, January 13, 2011

Surprise Dinner - Cassoulet Salad

Ok, ok.  So I kind of made it up.  Do you ever find yourself in the kitchen, counting down until dinner, you've barely have anything in the fridge, and you don't feel like leaving home and heading to the store.  That was me last night.

So, what do you do?  Me? I just want to cook with ingredients before they went bad: salad greens and white beans.

I christened it Cassoulet Salad.
I was completely surprised at how good it was.  It was the easiest dinner to pull together since the beans were already cooked.  The interesting ingredient was pork skin.

Yep.  That's right.  Pork skin.  There was a bag of it frozen in the freezer from my goddaughter's lechon party.

I added strips of lechon to the sauteed onions in lieu of bacon.  The cooked and seasoned beans were added next to heat up.  When heated through, the cassoulet was scooped onto a bed of greens and shaved cheese topped it off.  Done.  15 minutes. Start to Finish.

The surprising part was the lechon.  The smokiness that it added was so fantastic.  It elevated the humble bean to greatness.

No comments: