Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Beauty of a Shredder

Every year I make the same New Year's Resolution:  Keep up with all the mail.  I know, it sounds simple but we are well past the middle of 2010 and I've lost the battle again this year.

There's just so much that arrives.  Catalogs from companies at which I've never made a purchase, fliers and envelopes addressed to "The Residents At", coupons, catalogs and more catalogs, and bills.

I feel that our little home is responsible for the destruction of a couple of National Forests.

Every couple of weeks I'll gather it up and go through it.  It gets organized into piles: Make Payment, File, Garbage, and Shred.

I love the shred pile.  Taking that pile to the shredder, feeding it all in, and hearing its total destruction from  an identifiable piece of paper to completely anonymous pulp is quite satisfying.

We've got a heavy duty Aurora shredder that has 10 years on it and it's still going strong.  When its square little body decides it's too tired and it takes its last bite, we'll bury it under the tree in the courtyard and have a moment of silence.

No comments: