Monday, August 23, 2010

Breakfast Cereal Alternative

I love breakfast.  It's undoubtedly my favorite meal.  A warm mug of coffee or sometimes a cup of tea with...what?  Since I get the privileged of working from home, I would make myself some pretty nice first meals of the day.  Now that we have added my wee one into the equation, breakfasts have broken down to the bare minimum: Cereal.  And I'm tired of it.

What can I make the night before that can be stored in the fridge that both Mr. Dreamy and I can enjoy in the a.m.? So, I have unleashed my creativeness in the kitchen.  This is what has developed out of the madness:

A Quinoa Muesli:
3T toasted sunflower seeds
3T toasted (old fashioned) oatmeal
1T Craisins
1T raisins
2T frozen fruit (we like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries)
3T plain yogurt
3T quinoa
1t sugar (I would have used honey if I had some)

I toasted the sunflower seeds together with the oatmeal in one pan.  Careful because they toast quickly and can easily burn.  That's all the cooking.    Then just mix everything together in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  And upon waking breakfast is served!

My next creation I made this evening.  It's a mini frittata quiche.  I'll let you know how it tastes in the morning.  Good night.

No comments: